Since our committee is spread out across the region, conference calls are the primary method of communication we use. Anyone who has been apart of a conference call can confirm that they are not always natural and free of mishaps. After a quick laugh, we have provided some simple steps to help make your conference call experience more successful.
Tips for a successful conference call:
1. Be prepared and organized. The key is to make an agenda and stay focused on the tasks at hand. This will allow the meeting to be progress efficiently and keep the entire meeting engaged.
2. Encourage participation. When everyone involved feels comfortable, participation is much more natural and relevant. Those individuals not being engaged in the meeting tend to daydream and tune out, missing an opportunity to contribute to the topic at hand.
3. Be punctual. To set up for a successful meeting, it is important that everyone strive to be on the conference call early and on time.
4. Be mindful of your location. It is important to be in a location that is rid of distractions from other people. Also, when you are not speaking, keeping your phone line on mute will help to assure a clear line of communication for the individual presenting information.
5. Stick to the agenda. For the sake of respecting everyone's busy schedule, keep the conversations and information sharing dedicated to those topics on the agenda. The more off-topic the discussions become, the less engaged the committee will be.
6. Use visual aids when necessary. When discussing a new topic or wanting to better engage participants, visual aids or graphic supplemental documents can be a useful tool.
7. Keep notes. Taking notes during a conference call is a great way to stay engaged and focused. Also, keeping notes of the information discussed is a great reference document.
Now, go make the best of all your conference call endeavors.